Sunday 15 May 2011

Why gastric band surgery isn't right for me... right now.

I would be a liar if I said I'd never considered gastric band surgery... but when I read stories of gastric band complications which result in fatalities, I'm reminded of how some 'get thin quick' plans can come at a high cost.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard plenty of success stories of how gastric bands and bypasses change lives, but I hear far too many where it hasn't quite gone as plan.

In most of these cases, the problems have arisen as a result of poor eating habits and a lack of exercise. I've even heard a case of someone who managed to gain weight on a band!  If I were to go down this route in the future, I'd want to be well-prepared and in the right mindset. Take post-bariatric diets, for example. Would you know what types of food you could or couldn't eat? And what about vitamins?

For now I will stick to the eat less and move more plan. Ok, so it's not exciting and it certainly won't lose you all of your excess weight in a matter of weeks - but it comes with no strings attached. And, guess what? I will be able to enjoy normal foods (in moderately sized portions, of course), engage in normal activities and I'll know that it's my blood, sweat and tears that helped me get to the final goal. 

No comments: