Saturday 28 May 2011

Get fit? Get a dog!

Among the random stats in my head is one which crops up everytime I take my pet Nabrador out for a walk:



Dog owners walk - on average - 7 hours more than those who choose a canine-free life

So why are 55% of dogs obese? [Ed - And cat lovers, don't think that lets you off the hook. Some 53% of moggies are clinically obese!] And - on a selfish note - why am I still. Seven hours of walking alone with my dog would burn off a couple pounds a week! Of course - the answer lies in my lacksadaisical approach to dog walking... I wish it weren' true, but it is.


While I can't promise that I'm going to fit in one hour every day, I am going to make a concerted effort to get us out and about more often. Not only does it get us fit, but it gives old Barney a chance to catch up with friends, check out the ladies and give that tennis ball a good run for its money!


Thinking of getting fit with your dog? Check out Alison Sweeney's tips on taking positive steps! And, for the more daring, look into some human-dog sporting activities - like canine cross country!


Want to know more about the health benefits of walking the dog? Check this out:








No comments: