Friday 13 May 2011

How d'ya like them apples?

When you're overweight there's no hell quite like going to the doctor. So you can imagine how I felt when I heard that the doctor wanted to speak to me about my blood test results as my cholesterol was running high.

But sometimes it isn't like that, for one reason or another. It could be that the doctor preferred gentle encouragement, or maybe my new proactive approach to my weight meant that I dealt with the situation more confidently. Whatever the case may be, I left the doctors office aware of the situation and confident that I could get this problem under control.

The biggest ways of reducing cholesterol levels naturally are through changes to your diet and exercise. And dropping just 10% of your body weight can make a real difference. For me that means dropping 2 stone (28lbs) or reaching 17 s 9 (247lbs).  Although I know it's a rough road ahead, I'm feeling certain I can navigate it.

One interesting tidbit I found while looking for ways to reduce cholesterol was the power of eating apples. It seems the old adage "an apple a day" really carries some weight to it... and damned well beats eating prunes every day.  While prunes aren't awful, they aren't as lovely and socially acceptable as a nice, crunchy apple.

If you're looking for snacking inspiration, why not check this out?

No comments: