Wednesday 1 June 2011

Dukan diet: Does it work?

The founder of the high-protein and oatbran Dukan diet is in the French courts, suing a rival who claims that the low-carb diet is dangerous.

As an Atkins diet grad, I'm interested to see how this pans out. As tempting as the Dukan diet is, I've resisted anything which follows that low carb/high protein approach. If a diet limits your fruit or your veg I tend to get concerned!

After all, I have seen - first hand - what a high protein diet can do to your body... Yes, it left me a whopping 8 stone lighter in a space of just 10 months, but it also caused my kidneys to start shutting down.

Need more reasons? The most relevant one nowadays must be the cost of it all. Keeping myself in protein (steaks, chicken, bacon, etc) cost a fortune! Yes, there are eggs and cheese - but their cost at that quantity - is too high for many incomes to bear.

So... does it work? In short yes. Any diet - if you follow it - will work. But does it keep the weight off in the long term? Dukan claims that following Dukan for just one day a week, following a walking regime and consistently choosing stairs over elevators or escalators will sustain your weight loss... no matter what you eat on the other 6 days of the week. Sounds amazing, doesn't it? Well, some haven't found this to be the case.

No comments: