Tuesday 20 March 2007

What's your motivation?


Reading an article by Joan Morris of the Contra Costa Times, I wondered whether my motivations were purely noble. While I want to live a healthier lifestyle and be fitter, I think I'd be a liar to say that my motivations weren't mainly superficial.

Morris writes: "Weight loss goes hand in hand with vanity. After a lifetime of being told that we are ugly and disgusting, it's no wonder we lose our heads a bit when we receive praise and attention for our new look, and that we lose sight of what's important."

She continues: "It is just part of the package, but it's just the wrapping, not the contents inside. I've come to realize that the reasons I decided to lose weight in the first place remain firmly entrenched in my psyche. My goals of three years ago are my goals of today. I just needed to dust them off and put them on display again."

Yes, I must confess that I am craving and loving the praise showered by peers, loved ones and society at large. To some extent, I'm craving it from those who were unable to praise me in my previous form.

I remember reading Fat is A Feminist Issue some years ago and I agreed with it to some extent. After finishing the book, I considered my excess weight almost like a buffer against anyone only caring for me superficially. I guess I longed for a love that enveloped me - warts and all. And do you know what? When I found it, that weight just slipped right off me.

However, the flaw in that thinking is that you can buffer yourself so much in the hopes of Mr Right coming along that it puts your own future in peril. And what if, as in my case, Mr Right was merely Mr Right Now? Well, several Mr Right Nows later, I think I've built up the strength to deal with men and life - buffer or no buffer.

While I am only in the third month of my journey, I will do my best to appreciate the aesthetic benefits of weight loss while embracing the healthy lifestyle. I do worry sometimes though about whether I will manage that. I mean - while I am concerned with the medical implications of carrying excess weight and the impact it will have on my family - why can't I worry about that instead of why a pair of size 16 jeans doesn't fit me yet?

I suppose they go hand in hand and I best make the most of the complete package!

No comments: