Thursday 15 March 2007

Calling All Hedonistic Shoppers!

While I can endure shopping, I must confess there isn't the slightest bit of hedonistic pleasure in it for me. Somewhere between children screaming and ladies blocking the aisles with their trolleys, any zeal I had for shopping dissipates...usually around the veg aisle!

I have a tendency to go crazy in my local Tesco's and empty the crisp aisle into my trolley, even though I have only come in for a 'few bits' to buy like milk or bread. By the time I'm unloading the shopping, I realise that I have ended up with lots of junk food...again!

However, according to new US research reported by Medical News Today, it seems that not only am I not alone in this problem, but there is a way to avoid impulse purchases and stick to a healthy diet: Use a shopping list!

According to the study, the decision on what a shopper will purchase is stimulus-based, meaning what is placed in front of us. However, writing a shopping list prior to your weekly shop creates "memory-based" decisions. This causes you to recall store items (as well as your diet plan) before you plan out your meals for the week.
The researchers write in their findings: "We find that consumers who must generate options from memory are more likely to select fun, hedonistic, and sinful options over sensible options or 'appropriate" options.'"
Well, tomorrow is shopping day, so I'll break out the pen and paper and give it a whirl. Let's hope that it works!!
Today I have had:
Breakfast TOTAL: 2
Erm...Quavers (2)
Lunch TOTAL: 12
Chili Jacket Potato with butter (7.5), coleslaw (1), salad (0), maltesers (3.5)
Dinner TOTAL: 8.5
Ham sandwich with salad and coleslaw (5), Walkers baked crisps (1.5), banana (1.5), granola bar (1.5)
Comment
Didn't really get my day off to a brilliant start! Yes, Quavers hit the spot in between classes, however a banana would have been much better! I still didn't get any calcium in....thank god for vitamins, but I'll try harder tomorrow!

No comments: