Sunday 11 March 2007

The Joy of Veg

Well, I've just been through the contents of my refrigerator and its full and I've decided it's just not of the right foods! While there's low-fat everything in there - there just aren't many vegetables!

I've spent some time thinking about this issue to try and work out the hurdles to fresh fruit and veg and I think the main hurdles are my lazy cookery which leads to wastage. I have a tendency to go for the easiest and fastest meal solution for hunger. Nine times out of ten, it's a ready-meal.

I wonder whether our blustering waistlines could be down to us living in these fast food days. A 2003 study by the Food Standards Agency highlighted the extremely high levels of sodium in ready meals - so surely this should tell me that even healthy living meal may not be the best idea for eating heathily.

So, what's a girl to do? I've had a glance at the NHS 5-a-day site which gives some guidance into veg portion sizes...and I'm going to attempt to have 2 portions of fresh veg with every meal.

So - the plan for today is:

Morning: 2 medium tomatoes roasted in balsamic vinegar with oregano (0 points), 2 slices medium white bread (2.5 points), healthy living trifle (3 points), banana (1.5), walkers baked (1.5). TOTAL: 7 points

Afternoon: Omlette with peppers, mushrooms and onions (6 points) banana (1.5) TOTAL: 8.5 points

Evening: Stirfry with carrots, broccoli, peppers, onion, mushrooms, garlic (1 point) Weight watchers belgian chocolate mousse x 2 (4 points) TOTAL: 5

Tomorrow is weigh-in - 6am! Oh joy! I've had a sneaky peak and the scales are showing me as 15 s 4 which would be a loss of 3lbs this week. Fingers crossed!

No comments: