Energy and nutrition expert Heather Dominic has penned an article about why we should choose organic for our health. Her top 5 reasons from her article, "Organic Eating - Why Bother?", are:
1. Fresh organic produce contains on average 50% more vitamins, minerals, enzymes and other micronutrients than intensively farmed produce.
2. If you eat dairy or meat products, eating organic has never been more essential to safeguard your health. Intensively reared dairy cows and farm animals are fed dangerous antibiotics, growth hormones, anti-parasite drugs and many other medicines on a daily basis, whether they have an illness or not. These drugs are passed directly onto the consumers of their dairy or meat, which contribute to meat-related diseases like coronaries and high blood pressure.
3. Organic produce simply tastes better. Fruit and vegetables are much more full of flavor. Experiment with an organic carrot and a conventionally grown carrot. Which is sweeter?
4. Organic food is not really more expensive than intensively farmed foods, as we pay for conventional foods through our taxes. We spend billions of dollars every year cleaning up the mess that agrochemicals make in our natural water supply.
5. The few extra cents you pay for organic food may save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in doctors’ bills.
Several companies on the net provide online shopping capabilities for ordering organic fruit and veg boxes. Riverford Organic offer a variety of sizes filled with fresh organic produce that are reasonably priced. Having used veg boxes in the past, they're a great way to have you eating vegetables that you may not eat so frequently - a great way to get your 5 a day!