Tuesday 8 January 2013

Facing up to the weighty truth...

You would think that - at 20 stone 8 pounds - that someone couldn't possibly ignore their weight problem... but as my weigh-in today proved, denial is a very powerful state of mind. 

Not hard to understand why as it's - simply put - the path of least resistance. You can't blame someone for ignoring that elephant in the room... It is much easier than actually negotiating it. 

When it comes to diet and exercise, sticking with the 'same old same old' avoids the challenges of change.  After all, why say "no" to indulgences when saying "yes" is that much easier?  

Hitting rock bottom

Over the past few weeks several things have happened which have left me feeling more determined to lose weight that I've been in years. 

Perhaps the most mortifying (and recent) realisation I've had is that if I gain any more weight I will need to request a lap belt extension next time I'm on a plane. (And it goes without saying that I won't be buying my own any time soon!)

On top of that I've been suffering hot flashes, heart palpitations, joint pain and much, much more. Perhaps most stressful is the growing (and far too rational) fear that I'm doing permanent damage to my body on a DAILY basis. 

And only I can do something about it. 

Back to basics

Let's face it. There isn't a quick fix or magic trick that helps you lose weight. At the end of the day, your daily food intake must be less than what your body burns.  Don't believe me? Just ask Kelly Osborne who shed four stone. In this interview she shares the story of how suicidal thoughts were her "rock bottom"

I'm a struggler with calorie counting, so I'm following common sense, a bit of Slimming World, a bit of Weight Watchers and a bit of everything in between... I've been dieting for twenty odd years now. If I don't know it by now there's no hope for me. 

To back this up I'm going to review some of the calorie counting apps out there.  But until I settle on the best one, here's my menu for day 1:

2 pieces of wholemeal bread 
1 tbsp low fat peanut butter
1 banana

1/3 bag shredded salad leaves with carrot
1 chicken breast
1 pickled beet
3 slices pickled gherkin

1 portion tagliatelle noodles
1 portion turkey bolognese sauce (homemade with courgette, mushroom, onion, carrot, celery, roasted pepper, sundried tomatoes and tomato passata)
2 tbsp grated parmasean cheese

5 cups tea with semi-skimmed/2% milk.





No comments: