Wednesday 9 January 2013

Day 2: Keeping up the pace

Heading into mid-week and I'm feeling good - physically, mentally and emotionally. While eating healthily means I can't use food as a crutch, I'm staying focused... I may not be following a specific diet plan, but am instead drawing on my experience of Weight Watchers, Atkins and Slimming World to reduce my calorie count while avoiding calorie counts and stress.

2 slices wholemeal toast
1 tbsp peanut butter
Banana

Salad leaves
Pickled gherkin
Pickled beetroot
Sliced chicken breast

2 packs of Walkers baked crisps
a maple syrup sweet (YUM!)

Med jacket potato
Baked beans
Side salad
1 tbsp coleslaw

1 x squash
4 x tea with semi-skimmed milk

You'll notice I've had a sweet. I must say that I've never quite enjoyed a sweet as much as I've enjoyed that one sweet. That's appreciation! And I think little treats like that could be key to shrinkage.  Under the NHS MEND eating plan, they recommend giving yourself five "treats" a week.  This could be fish n chips (2) or biscuit (1)... Unlike Slimming World or Weight Watchers, there isn't a prescribed calorie count. This gives flexibility while not forcing you to go overboard just so you can 'spend' those SYNs or ProPoints.  For me, I think I'm going to allow myself 5 to 10 "treats". That way I can pick and choose and won't feel as restricted to what I can and can't have. For example, what if I'd just like 10 small treats this week or five meals out the next? (I'd like to think I'll be leaning toward the former!)

Looking at today's menu, I need to spend a little bit of time over the next few days thinking about alternatives for lunch. I'm thinking about making a little couscous salad with dates, etc to accompany the salad.  It takes just minutes, is fat free  and is incredibly filling to boot. What can be wrong about that?!? 

I've repeated breakfast from yesterday, but have a couple of options for tomorrow - toast with low fat cream cheese and banana or porridge with raisins.  

No comments: